What is Post-Acute Care After a Hospital Stay?
If you are hospitalized, you might be told the next stop before going home safely is additional care - perhaps in a rehab center or post-acute facility.
What you need is a skilled nursing and rehabilitation center so you can continue on your road to recovery in a comfortable environment.
How do you know which center is right for you?
Make sure they have the expertise and treatment protocols for treating patients like you. Consider asking:
- What is their experience?
- How quickly do patients go home?
- Will they work with you on your goals?
What should you expect from a short-term stay in a skilled nursing and rehab center?
- A center should provide a multidisciplinary approach to your care which involves you, your physician and your family. The center will work toward your safe discharge goal from the day of admission.
- Intensive rehabilitation, including physical, occupation and speech therapy, should be offered by in-house therapists. Their focus should be on maximizing your functional abilities so you will be stronger, more confident and able to care for yourself as independently as possible. They may also work with your loved ones so they can help with lifestyle or home changes.
- Comprehensive medical services provide skilled nursing services, under the direction of your physician, such as wound care, respiratory services, tracheostomy care and weaning, tube feeding, intravenous therapy, pain and medication management. Dietary management and guidance is offered.
Still not sure and need more information? Visit heartland-manorcare.com.
- Our post-acute vide, the game of life, is a short animated overview that provides additional information on why making the right choice for your post-hospital care provider is such an important decision.
- Our Road to Recovery website shows you the different treatment you might receive and why they will benefit you.
- Once you return home, our blog, called Balance, is full of health living tips to help you remain independent.
One last thing.
We are proud of our results and hope you will consider choosing a Heartland or ManorCare skilled nursing and rehabilitation center for your care.
- In 2016, more than 152,800 patients chose us for their post-hospital care
- Our patients are less likely to return to the hospital compared to national averages
- 83% of our rehab patients return home or to a lowers level of care
- The majority of our patients stay less than 30 days
- The majority of our patients recommend us
We realize this is a difficult decision. Our team is here to help. Visit heartland-manorcare.com today to review the information about what to expect during a post-hospital stay and to find a location nearest you. Or ask your social worker to meet with our hospital liaison.
**All data is based on industry averages and HCR ManorCare 2016 annual results